Thursday, March 19, 2009

Black bean tostadas with corn relish

There's nothing earth-shattering about this recipe, but I liked the corn relish and thought I'd share. It's from Martha Stewart's magazine Everyday Foods. It was one of those time saving issues where you do most of the work early in the day and it only takes a few minutes at dinnertime to throw it all together. I actually made it a more time consuming recipe because I changed a few things to my liking, but it is still fast and easy and satisfying.

2 limes (I didn't do all of the two)
2 scallions (I used green onions)
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen corn
coarse salt and pepper
3 T olive oil
1 jalapeno (my pepper was super mild, so I used it all)
1 pint grape tomatoes (I just used regular cuz it's what I had)
8 oz Monterery Jack cheese
4 flour tortillas (6 inch)
1 can black beans
1 avocado
reduced fat sour cream for serving

In the morning:
Corn relish
Squeeze limes in a medium bowl. Thinly slice scallions, and add to bowl along with corn. Add 1 T oil, season with salt and pepper; toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate.

Halve jalapeno (remove ribs and seeds), and mince. Halve tomatoes. Combine in airtight container; cover and refrigerate.

Shred cheese coarsely and refrigerate.

At dinnertime:
Make tostadas. (They did flour, but it's blasphemous at our house to use anything but corn tortillas. I fried them up crisp like usual.) Preheat oven to 475. Arrange tortillas on two baking sheets; brush both sides with remaining 2 T oil. Rinse and drain beans; sprinkle over tortillas. Top with tomatoes, jalapeno and cheese. Bake until golden and crisp, about 10 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.

(I like the refried type beans, so I simmered 2 cans with garlic and 3 T butter til they were thickened and it was wonderful.)

Finish corn relish
While tostadas are baking, pit and peel avocado; dice. Toss with corn mixture. Top tostadas with corn relish, and sour cream.

Everyone really liked this. The corn relish doesn't taste really great by itself in the bowl (too tangy), but it is delish on the tostada. I'll definitely make this again during the garden season!

No comments: