Thursday, February 18, 2010

Jay's Signature Pizza Crust

Photobucket
I was in a bind the other night, busily trying to get my typing done, when I asked Gwen to make dinner for us. It was pizza night but I couldn't find my regular pizza crust recipe and had no time to look for it, so I quickly looked on allrecipes and printed this one out. It turned out amazingly good. Usually my crust is too thick and bready, but this one came out crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. We didn't rise the dough for an hour like the recipe states since we were short on time, but it still turned out great and I know would be even better made the proper way. We also baked it a little differently than stated on the original recipe because pizza cooked at a higher temperature is how they do it in restraurants and the secret to good crust, so I hear, so the following is how we did it. This was the best homemade pizza I've had and Gwen did a better job than I think I could have done!

2 1/4 t active dry yeast
1/2 t brown sugar
1 1/2 c warm water
1 t salt
2 T olive oil
3 1/3 c flour

-In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and brown sugar in water. Let sit for 10 minutes.
-Stir the salt and oil into the yeast solution. Mix in 2 1/2 cups of the flour.
-Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Place dough in a well-oiled bowl and cover with a cloth or plastic wrap. Let the dough rise until double; this should take about an hour.
-Punch dough down; form a tight ball; let dough relax for a minute before rolling out.
-Gwen just pressed the dough into a large 16" pizza pan (the kind with tiny holes in the bottom-important for crispy crust) to the edges, making the dough thicker around the very edge for that extra "crust". You can spray your pan, but we didn't so that the crust could "grip" the pan and stay put.
-Preheat oven at 500. Bake for 5-8 minutes. Take out. Put on toppings. Put back in oven and bake for approximately 8 more minutes, or until cheese is bubbly, crust is golden, and toppings look cooked how you like them.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Nikki said...

This is the best crust!! Turned out just as you said. A definite keeper!!!