Sunday, March 6, 2011

Breakfast Tacos

We have been obsessed for a while now with mexican tacos.  We eat them several times a week, whether it's for breakfast or dinner.  Here is the breakfast version.  (we eat it at any meal time, too)  They are cheap and so filling and satisfying.

Start with some Chorizo in your pan. It comes in a tube, maybe 1/4 of the tube.
Saute til almost done.  If desired, add real bacon bits.  We buy the giant bags of the Kirkland Signature brand at Costco.  Cook a minute more.  Add desired amount of eggs.  For my family of 6 I usually use about 10 eggs.  (from our own chickens! yay!)  Add salt and cook til done.

In the meantime, start cooking your tortillas.  White corn are what we prefer.  My favorite brand is Juan Valdez, Pepe's variety.  They are a local company,  so I don't know if they are sold everywhere.  If you have this brand, BUY THEM!!  You can cook them in a little oil or just spray each side with Pam and cook them slightly on both sides just to soften them up.  You can cook them til they are chewy, if you like.  I usually just lightly spray with Pam and stack them in a paper towel and microwave for maybe 30 seconds.  This makes them REALLY good and it's so fast to do a big stack.  My friend told me this little time saving trick!

Take your tortilla and add the egg mixture and salsa and devour!  We love avocados on these, too.  We also add a handful or so of hashbrowns to the egg/chorizo mix sometimes, too.

I have been perfecting salsa.  When I'm done, I'll share it with you.

No comments: