Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Split Pea Soup Reincarnated

I love split pea soup, but I rarely have ham on hand. I do ALWAYS have hamburger on hand, though, so I decided to try making up something with what I have on hand.  I am sure you could find something on the internet similar, but this one came straight from my little pointed head!!  My family really liked it.

1- 11/2# hamburger, you could also use sausage or chorizo
1 onion, chopped fine
3 stalks celery, chopped fine
3 carrots, thinly sliced
3 cloves, garlic, pressed
1 # split peas
6-8 cups water (I used 8)
1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
1/3 bunch cilantro, chopped, or to taste
a little more fresh chopped onion to throw in
Some sort of chilies to add heat.  If you make my hot chile sauce from my salsa recipe, this would be perfect.  Add as much as you like.  Or you could use diced toms with green chilies, this is fairly spicy.
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1 tsp coarse black pepper, or to taste
Salt, to taste
1-2 bay leaves, if desired

Cook hamburger and onions.  Add celery, carrots, and garlic, saute a few more minutes.  Add split peas, water and seasonings. Simmer, covered, til peas have disintegrated.  About 1 hour.  Add tomatoes, chile sauce, etc last 10 minutes or so. Serve hot with rolls, biscuits or cornbread.  I actually just threw a bunch of my homemade fresh salsa in it.  I really liked the cilantro and fresh onions with the soup.  So, you could do that, too if you have that!  I have a running bowl of salsa at my house.  There would be a coup if there wasn't!!

No comments: