This is the heavenly granola that Mom has at her house. It's from the magazine Bon Appetit. I found this online because I lost the recipe Mom copied for me. I love this stuff. The hubby and kids love this stuff. It is the best. We eat it with milk or yogart or just by the handful. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 300°. Combine 1 large beaten egg white, 3 cups old-fashioned oats, 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (such as almonds, pistachios, pecans, or walnuts), 1 1/2 cups coconut shavings, 1/2 cup agave syrup, 1/4 cup olive oil or warmed coconut oil, 1/4 cup sesame seeds, 2 tablespoons (packed) light brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon in a large bowl; toss to combine. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake granola, stirring every 10 minutes, until golden brown and dry, 40-45 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet (it will crisp as it cools).
- Mix in 1 cup dried cherries or cranberries. DO AHEAD: Granola can be made 2 weeks ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
- Coconut shavings (chips) are strips of unsweetened coconut and are available at many natural foods stores and some supermarkets.
- Swap maple syrup or honey for the agave to get a subtle flavor shift.
- If chocolate chips mean your kid will love it, throw ‘em in at the end.