Thursday, February 12, 2009

Chili Con Carne

This recipe is from my staple Pillsbury Cookbook. It never steers me wrong. I scored the book at a yard sale when I was living in Logan. I have been making this for many years. I'll give you my adaptations, too. It is just a simple chili recipe, but it is sooo gooood! I made it last night, and Chris said it was the best yet. (Wish I knew what I did!) This usually feeds my family of 5 for 2 nights, plus lunch for me.

1# hamburger
1/2 c chopped onion
3/4 c water
1/2 c chopped green pepper (I almost never use this cuz I don't have them on hand much)
3 t chili powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/4 t hot pepper sauce
1-2 cloves garlic (I use 2)
28 oz can tomatoes, undiluted, cut up (we don't like chunks, so I blend them up)
1 can tomato soup
6 oz tomato paste
4 oz green chiles, undrained (I use 2 of these or a 7 oz, whatever I have)
1-2 T sugar, to taste (the recipe didn't call for this, but I like a sweeter chili)
15 oz can kidney beans, undrained

In medium skillet, brown hamburger with onion; drain. (I just cook burger in pot, to save dishes!) In large saucepan, combine beef mixture and remaining ingredients except kidney beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hrs, stirring occasionally. Stir in kidney beans; simmer until thoroughly heated. Garnish with cheese if desired.

For use in slow cooker, proceed as directed above and cook on low setting for 5-6 hours. Add kidney beans and heat thoroughly. (I've never done the crock pot)

No comments: