Monday, May 16, 2011

Asian Meatballs

Tonight I made some meatballs for our 'Chuck' party.  Chris is doing a low carb diet, so I am trying to find things that taste like he's being bad, but he isn't!  I came up with this.  They were gone really fast, so I guess they were good!

Meatballs:
1 1/2 # hamburger, half pork would be good, too.
1 tsp salt
1/4-1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4-1/2 tsp italian seasoning
1 egg
Mix all together.  Make small meatballs. Fry in a little oil in a skillet. (These are approximate, I really just threw it in. Like when I make meatloaf.  Never tastes the same twice.)

Sauce:
I started with some vegatable broth maybe 1/2 cup.  Could use chicken or beef.  Add soy sauce, maybe 1/4 cup.  Then add ginger, garlic powder, cayenne pepper for some heat, couple teaspoons Splenda.  Bring to a boil.  I added some cornstarch (maybe 1 T) and cold water (mabye 3 T).  Add to sauce and stir til it thickens.  I added a little more water after it thickened.  Put meatballs in the oven in shallow dish.  Add sauce.  Toss to coat.  Add chopped green onions.  This is best if it can sit for an hour or so.  Just put it on warm.  Stir every so often to mix flavors.   These are all approximate.  I just threw it in and then tasted til I liked the flavor of the sauce!  So you have to do the same.  Don't quote me on the amounts!

No comments: