Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Herbed Chicken Parmesan


I love chicken parmesan. It is one of those satisfying, comforting dishes. I found this excellent recipe from Cooking Light that my family really enjoyed! I know that when Ryan comes to me later after dinner and says "you really need to make that dish again" that it had to have been really good! I changed a couple things to my liking, but one thing I LOVE is the Newman's sauce with the balsamic vinegar in it. The vinegar makes it so delicious! CL recommends you serve this over orzo pasta, but I couldn't find any so I served it over angel hair pasta. This is great served with a Caesar salad (the salad kits are great!).

1/2 c fresh parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 c dry bread crumbs
1 T minced fresh parsley
1/2 t dried basil
1/2 t salt
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 lb. chicken breast tenders (I especially like the size for kids)
2 T butter
1-24 oz. jar Newman's Own Tomato & Basil Bombolina Sauce (this is a lot, but we like a lot of sauce on ours. It's the perfect amount if you double the rest of the recipe)
3 t balsamic vinegar
1/4 t black pepper
1 c shredded provolone cheese

-Combine 1/4 c of parmesan, breadcrumbs, parsley, basil, and salt in a shallow dish. Place egg white in a shallow dish. Dip each chicken tender in egg white; dredge in the breadcrumb mixture. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Set aside.

-Combine tomato sauce, vinegar, and pepper in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Cook till heated through. Pour the sauce over chicken in pan. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/4 c parmesan and the provolone cheese. Wrap handle of pan with foil, and put under broiler for 2 minutes or until cheese melts.

-Serve over angel hair pasta. (I tossed mine with a little butter and salt).
-Serves 4. (I doubled the recipe and it made plenty for leftovers the next night!)

No comments: