Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Creamy Corn Chowder

I don't know about you, but these cold, wintry days make me crave hot, soothing soups and stews. I made this soup a couple nights ago and really enjoyed it. I got it from my crock-pot cookbook and it is fairly simple to make. It's not super low-fat, but you could make it that way by using lite sour cream, lite half-n-half or milk, and lite cream of chicken. This makes a lot. My big oval crock pot was just about full (I'm not sure what size it is), so you'll have plenty of leftovers. My kids love the bacon in it.

1 lb bacon
4 c diced potato (peeled)
2 c chopped onion
2 c sour cream
2 1/2 c milk or half-n-half
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 c frozen corn (or more if you like)
Thinly sliced green onions (optional)

-Cook bacon strips until crisp. Drain, crumble, then set aside.
-Put potato, onion, and a small amount of water in a pot. Cook 15 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Drain. Transfer veggies to a 5 qt. crock pot and add all but 1/2 c of crumbled bacon.
-Stir in sour cream, milk, soup, and corn. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours. Sprinkle green onions and reserved bacon on each serving.
-Serves 12.

No comments: