Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Home Canned Salsa ala Erika

PhotobucketThis is a recipe I got from fellow blogger Afton last year. My family really enjoys it and since our supply is diminishing I was excited to make it again. I got a bunch of free produce from a neighbor with an incredible garden so I incorporated some of the things he gave me into the recipe and switched it around a bit. This is now homemade salsa ala Erika. I double this when canning, but it's wonderful fresh in a single batch and keeps in your fridge for a while. My thoughts are that if you're going to make the mess, you might as well make it worth your while and double it. One batch fits in my 4.5 quart pot, and when doubling I simply use two pots. I'd rate it medium in hotness. If you want it more on the mild side than I would take out the jalepenos and maybe even reduce chile peppers to one.

2 4.5 quart pots roma tomatoes (can use regular but drain really well)
15 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 large onions, chopped (any color will do)
2 jalepenos, seeded and diced
1 1/2 bunches chopped cilantro
2 chile peppers, seeded and chopped
2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped (red or green)
1 1/2 T salt
1/2 c red wine vinegar
1/4 c white vinegar

-Fill your 2 pots about 2/3 full of water. Bring to a boil. Put as many tomatoes as will fit in. Romas are so flavorful and not as watery as regular tomatoes so I prefer them.
-Leave tomatoes in for a few minutes.
-Take tomatoes out in colander, run under cold water, or you can dump them in sink full of cold water.
-Peel tomatoes. You can chop by hand, but I just put them in my blender (it worked better than my food processor.)
-In the pot that you used to boil the tomatoes, dump out water and you can now dump chopped tomatoes in. I like to keep a little of the tomatoes in the blender to help blend the other ingredients in better.
-To a little of the tomatoes, now add garlic, peppers, cilantro, and onion. Pulse to chop up. I like to hand chop some of the onions and all of the bell peppers so they are a little bigger and add some chunkiness to the salsa.
-Once all veggies are chopped and in pot, add salt and vinegar.
-Stir and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes.
-Pour salsa in jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove any air bubbles with non-metallic spatula. Clean rims of jars with clean rag and put on lids and rings.
-Process 15 minutes in boiling water canner.
-Yield about 7 pints.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Trainer Momma said...

SWEET! I've been searching for a good salsa recipe now that I have some spankin' new knives. I ran across this yummy blog through Jen H. -- thanks for sharing! It looks amazing!