Friday, January 22, 2010

Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

I finally found the perfect oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe! I was so excited once I baked them to find out that they were nice thick, soft, and chewy cookies--just the way we love them. In the past my oatmeal cookies have always gone flat, but not these babies! (Found at allrecipes with some adjustments).

1 c butter, softened
1 c brown sugar, packed
1/2 c white sugar
2 eggs
2 t vanilla extract
1 3/4 c flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
3 c quick oats (I'm sure you could use reg.)
1/2 c chopped pecans or walnuts
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

-Cream together butter and sugars until smooth. I like to do this for a few minutes until it gets light and fluffy.
-Beat in eggs one at a time.
-Add vanilla.
-Combine flour, baking soda, and salt into separate bowl. Gradually add to creamed mixture UNTIL JUST BLENDED.
-Stir in oats, nuts, and chocolate chips. If you don't think you like nuts in cookies, you will in these. It's a small amount and hardly noticable but adds great flavor.
-Drop by heaping spoonfuls ontol ungreased baking sheets. I use medium size cookie scoop heaping.
-Bake at 325 degrees for 12 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. I found 12 minutes to be perfect. Don't overbake. If your oven tends to cook fast check cookies at 10 minutes or so.
-Store in airtight container.

1 comment:

Just a bed of roses said...

Oh No!
Guess I will just have to give this recipe to Carl...he needs to learn a good cookie recipe.
We never bake them anymore because we would just eat them all.
No sharing. should though.
Should take some to the shop, that would be nice. hmmmm
I should give a cookie with the recipe and your blog tied on it, then it would have to share.