Thursday, October 13, 2011

Beefy Mushroom Barley Soup

I found this recipe at Winco next to the vat of bulk barley!  It is really yummy.  Kids and hubby liked it.  Instead of stew meat, I used leftover roast from my "spicy crockpot beef" recipe and used the juice I froze from previous roasts.  So I didn't use bouillon. It was heavenly with it.  And I didn't have to take time to brown stew meat!

1 # cubed beef stew meat
1 T vegetable oil
2 cups water
2 T butter
2 large carrots, diced (I used more, it seemed sparse)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 # fresh mushrooms, sliced (I diced fine for the whiners in my fam)
6 cups water
3 cubes beef bouillon cubes
1/4 cup pearl barley (I used 1/2 cup and thought it was perfect)
1/4 cup sour cream (I used slightly more)

Brown small cubes of stew meat in veg oil over medium heat until juices become a rich brown color.  Add 2 cups water, and simmer meat while preparing the vegetables.  In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium heat.  Saute carrots, onion, garlic, celery, and mushrooms.  Add meat, 6 cups water bouillon and barley to veg mixture.  Cook until barley is soft.  (this was quite a while give yourself an hour simmering time just in case you need it) Adjust liquid and seasoning as desired.  Remove from heat, and stir in sour cream.  Serve immediately. We had this 2 nights and lunch for me one day, too.

No comments: