Monday, January 30, 2012

Finger Steaks and Onion Rings

I love finger steaks.  I have tried to make them in the past, and they weren't very good.  I had a hankerin', so I tried again yesterday.  We had a fried food festivus for dinner!  They turned out really good.  Even the leftovers I heated up today were great!  I don't know if you are like me with 1/2 a cow in my freezer wondering what to do with it all, but I am very happy to have one more use, besides BBQing them!  It's too cold right now for that.

Flank Steak or Sirlion Steak (I used one of each and we had leftovers) Use one without bones
2 Cups Buttermilk
1 egg
mix in a low dish
2 cups flour (may need more)
Approx 1 tsp Lowry's Season Salt (I mixed it in then tasted flour mix to make sure it had enough flavor)
1/2 tsp black pepper
Cayenne pepper to taste, if desired for a little heat
Mix in a gallon ziploc bag.
Slice steak 1/4 in thick across grain. (The key is to get them nice and thin, and don't go with the grain because they won't break apart easily when you bite into them). Dip in milk mixture then put in ziploc and shake.  Fry in hot oil. I use an electric skillet on almost 400.  Used between 1/4 in and 1/2in  of oil.  Fry til juices run clear.  5 min or so.  Drain on paper towels.  Serve with Cocktail sauce (my fav), honey mustard, ketchup, bbq sauce.

Onion Rings
Slice onion rounds thinly.  Separate into single rings.  Mix 1 egg in about 1cup buttermilk.  Dip rings in buttermilk then put in ziploc with flour, season salt, pepper mixture til coated. (again, taste flour mixture to see if its salty enough) Redip in buttermilk then dip into Panko or fine bread crumbs.  Then fry in hot oil til golden.  My grandma showed me how to make these with the crumbs.  I love Panko because it makes them so crispy!  Use same dips as for steaks! Ranch is yummy, too.

No comments: