Monday, January 12, 2009

Skillet four-cheese "baked" pasta

This is from Family Circle a few months back. Really tasty and easy and fast. I have late church, so I cooked the meat mixture and the noodles before and then just added the sauce and cooked it the rest of the way. We were eating by 4:30! Nice!!

1 lb rotini past or penne (I used mini wheels)
3/4 lb hot Italian sausage (I used mild, and I think it needs 1 lb sausage)
2 sweet red peppers
1 large onion
1 T olive oil
1 jar (26 oz) marinara sauce (my favorite is Prego)
2 cups shredded Italian four-cheese blend

1. Heat oven to 450. Cook pasta following package directions. Drain.
2. While pasta is cooking, cut sausage into 1/2-inch slices. (I used loose sausage) Seed and slice peppers and slice onion for a total of 4 cups. Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, peppers and onions. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until peppers and onions are tender and sausage is cooked. Add sauce and bring to a simmer. Stir in the drained pasta and 1 cup of the cheese.
3. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the pasta and bake at 450 for 8 minutes or until cheese melts and casserole starts to bubble. Cool 5 minutes before serving. Makes 8 servings.

No comments: